Code of Ethics

Posted by Analyse at 4:21 PM

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Working with people of different nationalities is fun and enriching because you learn another culture and opens your eyes to another mode of life. There's more to that tho, it could be raging too...

I have this Asian colleague whom I trained in the Philippines last year for a certain chemical process, a new process which we started in that particular production site. She was fun and probably technically capable (it wasn't flagrant for me!) so I gave her all the do's and dont's so she could troubleshoot if ever a problem arises. At first, it was normal that she didn't have any input whenever we did brainstorming, she was new compared to our years of struggle to validate this process and have the final product accepted by our market.

After a few months, a problem arised and engineering intervention was called to the rescue. She was equally sent there so she could familiarize herself with the ins and outs, and of course to help. Would you believe that in the middle of all the problems and several production days lost, she would have the guts to ask me at 4pm at what time would we be able to go home and which restaurant would we venture our hungry stomach into, and which bar would I prefer to drink my favorite long island ice tea? Ang sarap tirisin! While I was receiving all the pressures from the big bosses, she was dreaming of sipping her cocktail in a cozy bar??

Another intervention, this time, we assumed that she's fully trained to be able to play with the process. Anyways, that was the objective of her being there, to be able to respond to technical needs asap and not 'france' going to 'asia' each time. We let her do the move with our emails (action plans) as back-up, at that time, I declined the assignment as I was already pregnant.

Today, I received an email from her, sending to everybody two documents which I originally written, and on which she modified 3 lines, 3 lines which came from us (I don't even have a thank you email from her!), and now, she listed her name as the writer, erasing my name, not even adding it to the list of verifiers. Is that considered plagiarism? Or just a simple non-respect of other people's work?

Next week, she will be here (ano, titirisin ko na ba?). I will train her (na naman!?!?!?) to the same process which I've been optimizing since months now. I couldn't travel and have this process set-up in Asia in the coming months so she will do the job. I will revise the document and hopefully, after my maternity leave, I still have my name on this document...respeto lang po!

14 comments:

tintin said...

I would find a way to let everyone know that that document was originally mine. If not possible, all materials I evetually gave her would be first cc'd and even bcc'd to superiors so everyone knows who has the brains.

That is intellectual property and I consider it plagiarism. AND you deserve credit for it! Hmmph!

Anonymous said...

kapal and pa-papel, that's all i can see with what she's doing. watch your back lang.---like what tinhekmi said, make sure that people would know! naku, mahirap na. remember, due to your pregnancy, the time will come and you'll be NOT in the office for awhile...ingat lang sa ganyang klaseng tao.

admin said...

Watch her like a hawk. If she does that name replacing the next time, confront her about it. She needs to learn that it is not correct to do that. Shame her if you need to. Believe me, she will learn her lesson. Lupit ba?

Airwind said...

bigyan mo nang isang makating fectus sa batok..... baka sakaling makita nya yung pagkakamali nya

Anonymous said...

o manang dahan-dahan lang, dalawa ang puso sa katawan mo ngayon!

Stay diplomatic yet firm. Talk to her honestly about what you feel. If you get a terrible reaction and feedback from her, tirisin mo na kamo! Aabangan ko ang "tiris na!" entry dito.

Watch her like a hawk as AprilLassy said...

Analyse said...

TinTin, I guess she's more ridicule than intellectual in what she did. Everybody here (and even in the production site) knows that it was mine.

Justice, I guess that's it, pumapapel lang sya sa bagong boss nya, and she's new in the organization too (sabay lang yata kaming na-hire), so pakitang gilas. Palalampasin ko na lang for now (but I'll talk to her next week), I don't want to be charged naman na di ako maka-jive sa mga Asian colleagues ko to think that I'm Asian. I just hope that I won't have another project with her. FYI, I already have a problem with her in another project in the past (http://myhideaway04.blogspot.com/2004/10/hate-her.html#comments)

AprilLassy, malamang wala silang code of ethics as a subject, kahit passing grade lang ako dun, I guess I learned something naman...;)

AirWind, haha, I'm tempted to do that hehe..

Lynneth, haha, titirisin ko na nga lang siguro, sabi nga ni frenchguy, baka maging kamukha pa daw sya ng baby namin pag di ako tumigil sa kakangitngit. I'll stay professional in dealing with her, but I will let her realize that it's not proper to do that.

Since she will be here next week, and I'll train her, I'll really make it a point that she understands how we work here, how we come up with such paper, that having our name written on such a document means signature of intellectual investments and hard work, I will make her feel ashamed that she added her name their bwehehe...

Girls, I'm in the mood, just got a salary increase and a promotion, my bosses are happy with the way I work, nice to know that...ililibre ko na lang sya sa fave cocktail nya saka ko sya titirisin hehe...

admin said...

hey, congrats on the promotion!

Anonymous said...

I agree with TinTin. It is imperative that it is known that you wrote it.

sachiko said...

Hello there beautiful lady..cool lang baka maapektuhan beauty ng baby,hehe..

some people can be so callous talaga..Just be cool but don't let her step so much on your toes,mahirap nang mamihasa..:)

Francesca said...

Basta mas magaling ang buntis, ano pa man gawin niya!

Anonymous said...

hi analyse,
definitely plagiarism. That is your intellectual property. Ano ba 'yun, bobo? kailangan pang magnakaw ng trabaho ng iba. Naku, madali lang tirisin 'yon. Wala naman palang laman eh. Puro hangin.
Love your pix, btw. Sa France ba 'yon? Nginatngat ng inggit ang puso ko.

Anonymous said...

ek! you already had a problem with her before?---palalampasin mo pa ULIT 'to? hmmn, may "halo" ka na, dagdagan ko pa ng pakpak...in short, bait mo naman.

Analyse said...

Isabela, ty for visiting. Yep, sa France nga yun.

Justice, peace be with her, ngek, hehe. The first one was more on incompetence on organizing a project, in communication, not a big deal, esp that after the incident/problem, my Asian partner has been changed, she must be too young for the responsibility. This time, it's a bigger issue, so titirisin ko na nga lang talaga hehe (oppps, lumalabas yung sungay ko..)

Singa Mama said...

i think tintin's idea is best, too. dapat, send it to at least one other person, para mahiya naman sya.

uy, blow-out naman dyan! ;)